Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Returning to the LTM/MTC

Elder Kenison, 1976
The old KMB, climbing the hillside
at the southeast side of BYU campus.
I began my first mission on July 8, 1976. I reported to the LTM (Language Training Mission) at the Knight-Mangum building on the southeast edge of BYU campus. We had classes there for about a month, and stayed in campus dorms not far away.  It was a good beginning, though always somewhat cramped and uncomfortable in the older buildings, especially in the heat of summer.

Early in August, we were told to completely pack our suitcases before we left our rooms in the morning. We went to class as normal, but then at the end of the day, proceeded to our new accommodations where our suitcases were waiting for us, at the "new LTM" northeast of campus, just downhill from the Provo Temple.

It was an amazing transformation; we felt like we were promoted to the "Hilton" of missionary facilities, both in sleeping accommodations as well as the classroom, cafeteria, gymnasium, and meeting areas, now completely dedicated to missionaries!

I spent three additional months in the "new LTM" as a student, and then as a language teacher for the new incoming elders, while we waited for our visas to go to Brazil. During that time, I was privileged to participate in the dedication service of the LTM on September 27, 1976. President Spencer W. Kimball and almost all of the rest of the general authorities were present; it was a remarkable and sacred experience.

After returning from my mission in Brazil, I enjoyed some additional time teaching Portuguese to new missionaries at the MTC — Missionary Training Center (the name was officially changed in 1978). I continued to appreciate the unique and sacred spirit of the facility.

Fast forward 40 years. Now I've returned with my "permanent" companion, preparing for our service in Argentina. We're not staying in the dormitories, and we're not learning a language. But we're being blessed, just as I was as a youth, by the spirit that permeates the grounds, the buildings and facilities, and people, and the purpose. It's so wonderful to be here with 2,000 other missionaries (mostly youth) who are united in a desire to prepare and to serve.

Being a part of this "campus" again is almost surreal. I have so many flashbacks to my first mission! Walking the paths between buildings, the lobby and hallways in the administration building, the feel of the classrooms, the cafeteria and assemblies—all of it so familiar in so many ways! Those times with the "São Vicente Pirilampos" (my original LTM district) were often challenging, but provide many sacred memories for me. It's very good to be back.

These two weeks are going to pass very fast! Our first week is described as "Preach My Gospel Training" (general guidelines and principles for senior missionaries, particularly details about teaching effectively and with power). The second partial week (3 1/2 days) will focus more on policies and guidelines for humanitarian and welfare missionaries.

Obligatory map photo

4 comments:

  1. You went to the mission with a broken arm?! You are tough. Have fun in the mission. It is interesting that they don't teach you the language, I would have thought they would give you at least some basics, but immersion is the best way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hemming your missionary pants before you left. I was such a good little sister. I remember that you broke your elbow at work (I won't tell how you broke it), and I think Mom was in Germany at the time. That was hard on Chris and me! You'd think you could have been more considerate and broken it when she was home. As I recall, your extended stay in the LTM/MTC was a blessing, allowing your broken elbow to heal and given you time for physical therapy. Please don't repeat that experience. Bonnie, it's up to you to take care of him now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott and I were at that “LTM” dedication!! Scott was teaching Flemish, and as a teacher, was invited to the proceedings. I had been a member just over a year, had been sealed just 2 weeks, and was awestruck by everything! It was the first time I had heard missionaries sing, and that by itself would have made the occasion memorable! As we left the auditorium, I got to shake Elder McKonkie’s hand, and drew close enough to President Kimball that I could have touched him were it not for the throng on people around him. Walking back to our car, we came up behind this venerable old man who was talking to some folks on the corner. Without warning, he whirled around, stuck out his hand to me, and said “Well, how in the world are ya?” It was LeGrand Richards! So fun to see that picture and have the old memories flood back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beckie - amazing to think you were both there too! It was a wonderful, memorable time. That missionary choir was an especially powerful experience for me.

      Delete